Thursday, February 11, 2010

I go Medina

Well, my mind's made up: I'm crashing the Republican primary this year to vote for Debra Medina for Governor.

Why? Because of the three candidates, she's the most likely to lose in November.

Think Rush Limbaugh's pro-Hillary operation in reverse, on the state level. If the Republicans want to do it to Democrats, they should be prepared to have it done to them, right?

Of course, given just how crazy and unelectable Medina is, it probably won't work- especially after Glenn Beck tried to "out" her as a 9/11 Truther.

Radio host Glenn Beck, saying he was responding to e-mails he got from listeners, asked Medina in a national interview this morning whether she believed the U.S. government was involved in the September 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.

“I don’t have all of the evidence there Glenn so I’m not in a place, I have not been out publicly questioning that,” Medina said. “I think some very good questions have been raised in that regard, there are some very good arguments and I think the American people have not seen all the evidence there, so I have not taken a position on that.”

When Beck asked whether any of her advisers believed the government was involved, Medina said none of them did to her knowledge. He then asked whether she would disavow any advisers who did.

“That’s a federal issue,” Medina said. “We’re very focused on issues in Texas on Texas state government. I’m certainly not into mind control or thought-policing people. We’ve got a very diverse team in this state and it’s because Texans are standing shoulder to shoulder to support and defend the Constitution. I frankly don’t have time to go through and do psychological testing on people and know every thought or detail that they have. I don’t see us having a team of radical individuals if you will.”

After the interview, Beck, who holds sway with many Republican primary voters, said, “I think I can write her off the list.”

Beck, who has been critical of Gov. Rick Perry and U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, added, “Let me take another look at Kay Bailey Hutchison if I have to. Rick, I think you and I could French kiss right now.”


Now, the kindest thing that can be said of this performance is that Medina has no business being interviewed in public or in the media, period. Maybe Beck was deliberately trying to ruin her in order to help Rick Perry; maybe not. If so, then Medina might as well have read from a script written for her by Beck for that explicit purpose. She dug herself in deeply.

Although she's since disclaimed 9/11 Trutherism and is attacking Beck for twisting her words, the damage is done. Texas is big 9/12 Movement territory- 9/12 is Beck's personal "revolutionary" political movement, full of people who believe in conspiracy theories Beck approves of, such as birtherism, one-world-ism, and Obama-is-a-Commie-ism.

But not Trutherism.

Still, I'm voting for her in the primary. Election Day is March 2; and on the GOP side, may the worst person win.

No comments: